How to Write a Series for Your Blog (and Why You’ll Want To)
Have you ever ever written a collection of posts on your weblog – a set of posts which might be intentionally linked collectively?
Should you haven’t, I hope I can persuade you to present it a strive.
Some bloggers really feel writing a collection of posts is extra daunting than writing particular person posts. But it surely’s typically simpler to provide you with concepts for a ten-post collection than for ten stand-alone posts.
Right here at ProBlogger we’ve run various collection over time, together with 31 Days to Construct a Higher Weblog, which I’ll be coming again to later on this publish.
So why do you have to write a collection of posts as a substitute of simply particular person posts?
How a Collection of Posts Might Increase Your Weblog
Writing a collection of posts, even a brief one, will be helpful. Particularly, it provides you the chance to:
- Dig deep into a specific matter, showcasing your experience.
- Encourage readers to maintain coming again for extra.
- Create loads of inner hyperlinks between your posts (good for each website positioning and inspiring readers to dig deeper into your website).
- Construct a complete piece of content material readers can bookmark, share, and maintain coming again to (particularly if in case you have an introduction publish or an index of posts).
Even when your weblog is new, you may nonetheless run a collection. The truth is, it may be a good way to get some strong cornerstone content material up there early on.
Two Completely different Approaches to Operating Your Collection: Which is Proper for You?
Whenever you have a look at a collection of posts on the blogs you learn, you’ll in all probability discover they fall into considered one of two classes:
Kind #1: Time-Restricted Collection of Posts
The sort of collection runs for a set time frame, and each publish printed on the weblog throughout that point is (normally) a part of the collection.
For example, a three-part collection of linked posts could seem on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. And on the next week, the blogger goes again to standalone posts.
We’ve accomplished this on ProBlogger with ‘Theme Weeks’ akin to Creating Products Week — a collection of 5 weblog posts on the way to create merchandise on your viewers.
This method works nicely if you wish to create cornerstone content material, or construct up a chunk of collection content material you would possibly use later for an e-book and even the idea of a course. (Extra on that later.)
Kind #2: Ongoing, Common Collection of Posts
The sort of collection can run indefinitely, with posts showing on a particular day of the week or month, and even at a specific level within the yr. And standalone posts seem as regular between installments of the collection.
The collection would possibly appear like:
- A roundup of stories/posts in your area of interest every Friday. (We used to do that in our “Reading Roundups”.)
- An ongoing month-to-month collection on the primary Tuesday of every month. For instance, for those who weblog about wholesome consuming, you would possibly publish a brand new recipe at first of every month.
- An annual evaluation of your progress in your area of interest every December or January.
If you wish to construct a way of consistency and group in your weblog, this could be a good sort of collection to make use of. It may possibly additionally allow you to beat blogger’s block, because it provides you particular issues to weblog about. (Effectively, no less than a number of the time.)
Coming Up With a Nice Concept for a Weblog Submit Collection
It may be powerful sufficient developing with an concept for one weblog publish. So how do you provide you with an incredible concept for a collection?
For a hard and fast collection with a restricted variety of posts, you would possibly search for:
- A subject that you simply’ve already coated, however not in a lot depth. A collection might provide the likelihood to actually dig into the subject and look at completely different elements of it. We did this on ProBlogger with a series on guest posting.
- Newbie-friendly matters that will make a great introduction to your weblog or area of interest. The posts themselves might all be on completely different matters, however you may hyperlink them collectively by having them aimed very a lot at newbies.
For an everyday, ongoing collection, you would possibly search for:
- One thing you could possibly weblog about just about indefinitely. It may very well be the week’s information in your area of interest, your month-to-month outcomes from affiliate marketing online, or frequent errors you see newbies making in your subject.
- A specific model of posts. You possibly can have a weekly “Q&A” like Trent Hamm’s “Reader Mailbag” on his weblog The Easy Greenback, or a “month-to-month motivation” publish the place you gather collectively inspiring quotes.
Should you’ve obtained a number of concepts and aren’t which might work greatest, why not ask another bloggers for enter? (Should you don’t know many different bloggers but, the ProBlogger Facebook group is a good place to fulfill some.)
Structuring a Collection of Weblog Posts
Hopefully, you already really feel assured about structuring particular person weblog posts. If not (otherwise you want a fast refresher), try these posts from our subject material professional Ali Luke:
However whenever you’re structuring a collection, you additionally should make structural choices about:
- The collection as a complete. It can want a starting and, if it isn’t an ongoing collection, an finish. These is likely to be quick sections of a publish, or posts in their very own proper (for an extended collection). For example, you would possibly write a publish to introduce the collection and clarify what’s coming. You possibly can then replace this publish with hyperlinks to the completely different elements of the collection.
- The person posts inside the collection. How are you going to construction these in order that they ‘match’ as elements of a coherent entire? You possibly can:
- use a particular sort of picture, or model your pictures in a specific means
- title the posts constantly
- have a specific format for every publish, akin to a fast recap at first and a process or task on the finish.
Interlinking the Posts in Your Collection
It’s essential to hyperlink the elements of your collection collectively so readers can simply navigate between them. Bear in mind, not everybody will learn your collection as you publish it.
Some readers will likely be busy, and can wish to meet up with the entire collection later. However many extra (hopefully) will come to your collection in future weeks and months by way of search engines like google or social media.
You possibly can interlink posts in any variety of methods. Listed below are some you may strive. (Chances are you’ll even wish to use two or three in every publish.)
- Create a tag or class for the collection, which is what we did with our guest posting series. Readers can then get all of the elements of the collection by clicking that tag/class identify. Should you’re operating an ongoing collection of weekly/month-to-month posts, that is in all probability the easiest way to organise it.
- Put a hyperlink on the high of every publish resulting in the earlier half(s), so readers can simply return to any posts they missed.
- Create a web page or publish with hyperlinks to each publish within the collection. You are able to do this earlier than you run the collection and replace it as you publish every half, or do it retrospectively.
- Put hyperlinks on the backside of every publish resulting in the following half, so readers can simply undergo the collection. (Clearly, you’ll want to return and add these in when you’ve printed the later elements.)
- Add hyperlinks to the physique of the publish everytime you point out a subject you’ve already written about within the collection. (You can too return to earlier posts and hyperlink them to later posts within the collection.) This protects you having to repeat your self loads, and makes it straightforward for readers to seek out the data they want at any given level.
An instance of hyperlinks to all of the posts within the collection on the backside of the publish
Nevertheless you select to hyperlink your posts collectively, be sure you’re constant. And bear in mind to examine again after ending the collection to see if there are alternatives to work in some further hyperlinks.
Taking Your Weblog Submit Collection Additional
When you’ve accomplished a collection, or have been writing an ongoing collection for some time, it’s value contemplating whether or not you may repurpose your collection into one thing else.
Which may imply:
- Bringing your posts collectively as a free e-book, maybe with some bonus content material. For example, for those who’ve printed ten month-to-month recipes in your weblog, you could possibly put these recipes into an e-book and add 5 further recipes you haven’t printed.
- Publishing your posts as a product, akin to a paid-for e-book and even an ecourse. (31 Days to Construct a Higher Weblog went from a collection of posts to an e-book, and now we’ve turned it into a course.)
You may also use a brief collection because the inspiration for an extended one, or an ongoing collection as a chance to get readers concerned in your weblog.
I’d love to listen to how you’re utilizing a publish collection, or what concepts you’ve got for utilizing them sooner or later. Depart a remark beneath to share your ideas with us.
For extra assist creating content material, why not strive considered one of my 7-day Content Sprints the place I’ll information and assist you to create a plan and 6 new items of content material on your weblog in simply 7 days.
This text was up to date 1 December 2022.