How to Use Social Media to Promote Your Blog
This month we’ve been taking a look at five different methods that I’d use to find readership if I were starting a new blog. To this point we’ve explored guest posting, advertising and networking – however at present I need to flip our consideration to the dynamic space of social media.
Social media websites have exploded onto the net publishing scene over the past couple of years and may usually be divided into two kinds of web site:
- Social Networking Websites – the place the first exercise of the positioning is ‘connecting’ with others. A few of the most distinguished websites on this area are Fb, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube.
- Social Bookmarking – the place the first exercise is the discovering and sharing of net content material by way of totally different techniques of ‘voting’ on websites. Examples of this sort of web site are Reddit, Digg and Combine (previously StumbleUpon).
The above two classifications of social media websites are pretty broad – in actuality there are a lot of totally different websites showing each week, a lot of which have components of each of the above in addition to different options. On Twitter for instance, by merely posting hyperlinks, photos, and content material together with your account means you’ll have technically bookmarked them and for those who additionally ‘like’ sure tweets, you will discover and return to them sooner or later. Pinterest features equally.
The purpose of this put up is to not outline social media however reasonably to have a look at it as a chance to search out new readers in your weblog. The explanation that I embrace it on this sequence is that over the previous couple of years I’ve seen quite a few blogs just about launch themselves through social media websites.
The explanation for his or her success is that social media websites are among the many largest websites on the internet at current (the quantity of site visitors that they do is thoughts boggling) however that by their very nature they’re about serving to folks to find new components of the online (significantly social bookmarking websites) – and consequently they’re utilized by folks actively searching for net content material.
Consequently I might argue that social media websites are a logical place to place your self as a blogger. Let me say it once more:
Social media websites have quite a lot of site visitors and they’re utilized by folks to search out content material – why wouldn’t you place your self on them?
Qualification: let me qualify that final assertion earlier than going any additional by saying that social media just isn’t THE reply to discovering readers in your weblog. It isn’t sufficient simply to advertise your content material on social websites – however it’s one aspect that may enable you discover quite a lot of new readers.
9 Keys to Utilizing Social Media to Discover New Readers for Your Weblog
A lot has been written about utilizing particular social media websites to drive site visitors to a weblog. I’ll embrace a couple of hyperlinks to issues I’ve written about particular websites under – nevertheless on this put up I’d like to talk in a extra basic sense and share some rules of utilizing social media to drive site visitors.
1. Be an Lively Participant – it is very important see these websites for what they’re – they’re social websites that are designed for normal use and interactions between readers. They aren’t designed for folks to come back to to spam their very own hyperlinks and depart – they’re designed for ongoing, real and useful interactions between folks. Consequently those that spend time utilizing these websites are those who usually are rewarded for doing so over the lengthy haul. Whereas there’s a temptation to solely use these websites occasionally when it advantages your self you’ll discover them extra fruitful paces to go to whenever you frequently take part and genuinely work together with others.
2. Study the Guidelines and Tradition – totally different social media websites have totally different guidelines, requirements, cultures and acceptable habits. This covers issues like the way you work together with others, the language you need to use and importantly for this text – linking and selling your personal content material. Some websites permit (and even encourage) you self selling – others don’t. Some may permit it formally however could have customers who don’t prefer it and who will ‘bury’ your efforts for those who do. The secret’s to take part, observe and be taught out of your experiences.
3. Discover Key Gamers – top-of-the-line methods to study social media is to search out and get to know key gamers on the totally different websites. Who’s utilizing them effectively? What are they doing? What may they be capable to train you? How may you’re employed with them for mutual profit? Many social media websites make it simple to search out these key gamers by producing lists of ‘high customers’ – these could be strategic relationships to have.
4. Make Associates – extending upon that is the precept of be-friending others on social websites. This can be a key a part of what they’re all about and lots of of those websites make you extra highly effective primarily based upon the variety of your connections. So get on the market – make mates and work together together with your community. From this will come many fruitful interactions. It’s additionally an incredible branding train to ‘join’ with folks in these methods.
I ought to say at this level that I see folks utilizing their ‘networks’ on social websites in two important methods both as pure influencers or in additional concerted and coordinated methods. The primary (influencers) is about constructing a community that you simply naturally work together with and who will take discover of what you do. This makes you a strong person and each by the social web site taking extra observe of you but in addition as others will accomplish that additionally. The second is what some customers have been doing for some time now – becoming a member of collectively to vote up one another’s content material. DoshDosh has someon making and interacting with mates in social websites (significantly Digg).
5. Don’t Be Self-Centered – I’ve talked about this already nevertheless it’s price some extent of it’s personal. In case your main actions on social media websites is self centered then you definately’ll restrict your personal fruit from it. I do know a variety of high Digg customers and in every case they’re a few of the most beneficiant and ‘different serving’ folks you’ll ever meet. They exit of their means to assist others obtain their desires. In doing so after all they themselves profit – nevertheless it’s others first.
6. Discover what Works Finest for Your Weblog – an everyday touch upon posts the place I write concerning the energy of utilizing social media is folks saying that they’ve ‘tried it’ and it doesn’t work. Once I unpack these feedback with folks I typically discover that what they imply is that they tried one social media web site a couple of times – and it didn’t have a lot affect. The errors with this type of pondering are quite a few (ie it takes time to get to know a social media web site, get to know folks and so forth) – however one important factor that I’d say is that not all social media websites work for each subject of weblog. For instance I discover that StumbleUpon works very well right here at ProBlogger – however that Digg works on some extra technically targeted websites that I’ve labored with. The opposite factor that I’d say is that typically the most important social websites usually are not at all times the perfect ones to make use of – however reasonably smaller and extra targeted ones can have larger advantages. Each week new social bookmarking websites seem round totally different niches – search them out and deal with them too.
7. Social Media as a Branding Train – whereas social media websites can ship you quite a lot of site visitors very in a short time they may also be glorious locations to do branding. Each time a reader or potential reader comes throughout you on a social media web site the extra you reinforce your brand. Get energetic on a web site like stumbleupon and promote the content material that others publish and you would really get on their radar and end up benefiting yourself in many ways.
8. Convert to Loyal Readers – one factor that many bloggers fail to do after they achieve driving site visitors to their blogs from social media websites is to transform them into loyal readers. Getting readers to your weblog is simply half of the problem – getting them to return tomorrow and on daily basis afterwards is the opposite half – it may be the distinction between a one off site visitors occasion and a weblog with an ongoing progress in readership. I’ve written extra on converting one off visitors into regular readers here (and likewise here).
9. It’s all concerning the Content material – one issue that exponentially will increase (or decreases) the affect of your efforts in social media is your precise content material. With out content material that engages social media customers you might be losing your time as it’ll not often seize their imaginations and encourage them to put it up for sale. Writing nice content material is the main target of tomorrow’s final put up on this sequence on rising weblog readership – so I’ll say extra then.
Additional Studying at ProBlogger on utilizing Social Media to Construct Visitors to Your Weblog:
For those who’re severe about constructing an viewers in your weblog and need to supercharge your site visitors ProBlogger’s Find Readers Course gives you the roadmap and information you thru 6 clear steps to search out readers.
This text was first printed on Mar 15, 2008 and up to date Feb 24, 2022.