10 important tips to maximize your earnings
Google Adsense is currently the most popular advertising program in the world and it has been this way since the time it was launched in 2003. Adsense has become a permanent sources of income for webmasters all over the world and a major profit generating project for Google. The program generated $3.4 billion in the first quarter of 2014 which equals 22 percent of Google’s total revenue. Now how much can you really make with Adsense depends on a number of factors, amount of traffic being the biggest of them of course. This article will give you Google Adsense tips to maximize your earnings. There are some things that you can do to not to completely depend on traffic generation and maximize your earnings quickly. This guide assumes that you already know the basics of Google Adsense and want to know what else you can do to increase your profits.
BEST FEATURES OF ADSENSE
So what’s the secret behind the longest winning streak among all other advertising platforms? If you have used the platform before or are still using it then you can answer this question very easily. For those of you who haven’t used it before, here are a few points that will make you want to give it a shot:
- It provides you the easiest way to put ads on your website. The interface is really intuitive and fast which makes it very easy for you to just grab the code for the ad type of your choice and insert it on your website immediately. If you’re completely new, you will be able to get the hang of it in no time.
- Google automatically crawls and decides what type of ads would be the most suitable for your website. Google crawlers are undoubtedly the best content crawlers on the web which enable you to have content-related ads on your website without doing any extra effort.
- It gives you the ability to connect multiple websites with your account which means you can display ads on as many websites as you want. You can create channels to differentiate among the ad blocks you have created for different websites. This lets you track the performance of individual websites very easily.
- You can put Google web search on your website which gives an option to your visitors to search Google from within your website. This can be very helpful in keeping your visitors engaged with your website. You also earn from the clicks generated by the search bar.
- You can customize your ads the way you want. Google Adsense offers a number of options to change the size of your ads, text color, background color and also lets you choose if you want to display only text or image based ads or mixed. This gives you more control over your ads.
- It allows you to put ads on RSS feeds. This is a great feature because RSS feeds are a very important aspect of your websites and many users and news sources prefer to read the content from your feeds instead of going to the website.
- You can easily guess the best feature of all. It’s completely free to use. You don’t need to invest a penny to become a part of this program. All you need is a decent website which complies with all the guidelines provided by Google. You can apply for your very own Adsense account from HERE.
- It offers you the best payout structure and has the highest market share among all other Pay-per-click programs. Other PPC programs do not pay as high and quick as Google Adsense.
TIPS FOR MAXIMIZING INCOME
There is a basic principle to increase your earnings no matter what advertising platform you are using “Get more clicks with more traffic”. It is actually true because the more visitors your website is getting, the more chances there are that users will click on your ads. But what if you can improve your earnings while having the same number of visitors? Yes, that can happen but to make it happen you will need to understand a few things and apply a few changes to your Adsense marketing approach:
1. Use both text-based and display ads together
Adsense provides options to put text-based or display ads on your website based on your choice. There’s also another option that lets you select both for an ad. Your ad will sometimes display text-based ads and sometimes display ads on the same ad position. The constant changing of ads will produce more competition within the ads opting for the same ad position and the Cost-per-click (CPC) will increase eventually.
2. Select suitable ad sizes
The selection of ad sizes can improve the performance of ads more than you can imagine. The highest performing ad sizes are 160×600 (Wide Skyscraper), 336×280 (Large rectangle) and 300×250 (Medium rectangle). Other ads will also generate clicks but according to studies, the above mentioned sized are the most productive ones.
3. Put ads in the right positions
Positioning of the ads can be critical to your overall campaign performance. It is always best to place the ads on the positions where the users are bound to look. According to different studies and experiments, the best positions for placing the ads are:
- Top left of the page
- At the top of the content, just below the Title
- Just below the content, above the comments
- On the sidebar (obviously)
4. Re-locating the Sidebar
Most of the website and blog themes naturally have sidebars on the right side. Yes, it looks pretty decent but if you want to make the most out of your ads, you might want to relocate the sidebar to the left side. Since a human eye always starts reading from the left side so that should provide enough visibility to your ads.
5. Replace traditional Search bar with Google search
Almost every website has a search bar in order to let the visitors browse your website and the web. Other than the fact that Google search keeps your visitors engaged in a better way, you can also place ads on the search bar. This allows you to get more clicks and eventually more revenue.
6. Constantly monitor statistics on Google Analytics
Monitoring the statistics on Google Analytics regularly allows you to make a lot of improvements with your ad campaigns. Specifically, the Adsense report on your Google Analytics accounts can help you identify the articles that are getting the most number of visitors and clicks. This will help you short-list the topics that the public is interested in.
7. Limit the number of ads
Having greater number of ads on your web page doesn’t mean you will get more clicks. In fact, it is always best to limit the number of ads to 2 or 3 for better visibility and attention. Having large number of ads can make your website look spammy and it can have a negative effect on the number of clicks your ads are getting. So keep it simple and viewable.
8. Add custom styles to ads
Sometimes the text style and background color of your ads can mismatch your website’s theme. It can affect the visibility of your ads in a bad way. It is always best to analyze the styling of your ads and comparing it with your website’s theme. Then make suitable changes to make your ads more visible and prominent.
9. Remove the ad borders
Ad borders can sometimes make your webpage look a bit untidy and the user gets confused about where to focus. The best way to tackle this is to remove the ad borders to match the background of your web page to make the ads look more inviting and clear.
10. Insert ads within content
This alone can actually make a huge impact in the overall performance of your ads. Generally when visitors are reading your content they sometimes don’t look towards the ad spots at all and ignore them. To make sure your ads are visible to the maximum number of viewers, you should place ads within the content. However, you have to be very careful not to overdo it and don’t place too many ads like this. Too many ads inside the content can make many visitors confused and they might drift away from your website.
Of course there are many other little ways to improve the performance of Google Adsense ads to make more money from them. But the ones listed in this article are the most important ones. Apart from focusing on the ads you should also focus on the content of your website. Visitors come and stay only when they know that the webpage has the information that they are looking for. Great content also helps Google to get and display the most suitable and matching ads on the webpage. This article will hopefully help you design and formulate an effective Ad campaign for your website.
Spread the Word